3 Electrical Dangers Property Owners Should Not Ignore

Is your property safe? Don't be so eager to answer yes. If you aren't considering hidden and often overlooked electrical hazards, the answer to this question might not be yes. As one of the leading causes of fires, electrical issues are often easy to prevent, if you know what you're looking for. Here are just some of the dangers to keep an eye out for.

Two-Prong Outlets

If you have an older property and only have two-prong outlets, this might be a problem waiting to happen. Two-prong outlets typically mean that the electrical system is old and outdated. Newer properties have three-prong outlets which help reduce the risk of shock and other concerns.

If your property has an outdated electrical system, the risk of an overloaded is much more prominent. If you're constantly adding new appliances and other electrical items, but you haven't updated the electrical system, this is a good indication that it's time to do so.

Frequent Outages

If you're dealing with constant outages, this is another warning sign that you should not be ignoring. For example, if every time someone turns on the microwave the electricity goes out, this is a clear indication that the electrical system is being overloaded.

If you don't address this issue in a timely manner, the power going on will be the least of your concerns. Before long, this could turn into an electrical fire or the entire system could fail, which will be costly to repair. Get ahead of the problem and have the system updated in a timely manner.  

Dark Colored Outlets

Another red flag that you should not ignore is a dark colored outlet. For example, if the outlet is white, but it's starting to turn brown, this is not just a sign of age. In many instances, this could mean that the wiring behind the outlet cover is heating up and burning, generally because it is worn or unable to handle the power load.

If this problem is allowed to continue, this is a fast route to an electrical fire, which is costly, and highly dangerous since it often starts and spreads behind the walls. If you notice this problem, immediately stop using the outlet and contact a professional for assistance.

Make sure you are keeping your eyes open for any warning signs. An electrical contractor like those at Etheridge Electric Company Inc can assist you with highlighting any concerns and most importantly, helping you resolve these risks. Make certain you're doing your part. 

Share