4 Ways To Prevent Electrical Fires

When it comes to protecting your household, one of the primary things that you should be concerned about is ensuring that your home is safe from electrical fires. Electrical fires are started in over 25,000 homes each year across the nation and claim up to 280 lives every year. There are numerous ways in which you can protect your home from the tragedy of an electrical fire. Throughout the course of this brief article, you will learn about four specific and pointed ways to prevent an electrical fire from occurring in your home.

Inspect Electrical Wiring

If you live in an older home, it is imperative that you have your home inspected by a licensed electrician. Electrical wiring is not something that should be considered a permanent element of your home. If your home is a century old or older, it needs to have its wiring inspected, and most likely, replaced or rewired, as home standards and city codes are changing constantly.

Many older homes use copper wiring rather than aluminum wiring, the former of which is far more prone to catching fire. A licensed electrician can inspect your wiring and tell you if it is up to date with city codes and whether the wiring material is adequate or not.

Examine Appliances

This is one of the easiest things you can do in service of preventing an electrical fire in your house. By inspecting your appliances and any cords you have in your home for any frayed wires or broken cords or plugs, you're doing a large part to prevent an electrical fire from breaking out in your home.

If you notice any of these abnormalities on any of your electrical appliances, unplug them immediately and go about having these portions of the appliances replaced or repaired. Frayed or broken cords can often spark, as the circuit system will not be complete; these minor annoyances are often the cause of a huge fire, so be careful.

Check Sockets

Check all of your electrical sockets and make sure that they are not overburned. Overburning will look like charring on the electrical socket and it is usually quite obvious. The area around the sockets will look black and there will usually be a melted film over the darkened area.

Overburning takes place when you overload a socket. This means that you are going above and beyond the capacity that the socket can take; in other words, you're plugging too many darn things into the socket. This often occurs when you plug a powerstrip into the socket and then many devices into the powerstrip, or when you "daisy chain" powerstrips.

Keep Flammable Items Away From Sockets

Every socket has the potential to spark; this just comes with the territory of sockets. Sparks are, by and large, a harmless phenomena. However, this does not mean that you should ignore this potential. Sparks can start fires, especially if there are flammable materials near the socket in question.

Make sure that all flammable materials are moved away from your sockets. This means that all paper, cloth, and other flammable materials should be placed a safe distance away. Although this is a rare occurrence, it is not one that you should take lightly. While this might seem like a minor inconvenience for you now, take into consideration that moving said objects could prevent an electrical fire from breaking out at a later time.

Electrical fires are a serious problem across the nation. Luckily, there are many small things you can do in order to decrease the chance of an electrical fire breaking out in your home. Ensure that your home is properly equipped and take the other measures mentioned in this article to ensure that you never have to suffer from an electrical fire. For more information, contact a company such as Sun Coast Electric & Networking Inc.

Share